The Draft State Rail Plan is now available for review.
The Role of Rail in Statewide Transportation
The State’s Existing Rail System
- Description and Inventory
- Trends and Forecasts
- Rail Service Needs and Opportunities
Proposed Passenger Rail Improvements and Investments
Proposed Freight Rail Improvements and Investments
The State’s Rail Service and Investment Program
Coordination and Review
The South Dakota State Rail Plan will address a broad spectrum of rail topics, including:
- identification of objectives and plans for rail in South Dakota
- inventory of rail infrastructure
- analysis of rail-related economic, safety and environmental impacts
- articulation of the State’s policies governing investment in rail activities and infrastructure
- investigation of policies, needs, and issues related to the potential introduction of passenger service in South Dakota
- establishment of a long-range investment program and policies for current and future rail infrastructure
The South Dakota State Rail Plan (SRP) will be submitted to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). Once approved by the FRA, the SRP will maximize the opportunities for federal infrastructure investment in South Dakota.
Goals & Objectives
Inform stakeholders and the public to create awareness about the purpose and processes used to create the State Rail Plan & Rail Investment Guide.
Partner with local jurisdictions, elected officials, and key stakeholders to promote project milestones and input opportunities.
Collect meaningful feedback from stakeholders and the public to inform the technical team during the development of the State Rail Plan and Rail Investment Guide.
Transform complex technical data into comprehensive graphic communication materials for stakeholders and the general public.
Rail Plan Timeline
February / March 2022Stakeholder and Public Engagement
March 2022Plan Development
June 2022Stakeholder and Public Engagement
September 2022Final Plan Submitted
Launch Draft State Rail Plan Online Workshop (Available until July 14, 2022)
Public & Stakeholder Draft Plan WorkshopJune 153-5 PM CT Becker-Hansen Building
700 E. Broadway Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501
If you are unable to attend in person, a call-in number for the workshop will be available. Please email Misty at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
March - April, 2022 | Online Public Meeting
February 28, 2022 | Sioux Falls Public Meeting
March 1, 2022 | Mitchell Public Meeting
March 2, 2022 | Aberdeen Public Meeting
March 3, 2022 | Rapid City Public Meeting